Tuesday, December 3, 2013

YouTube Videos and The Why

In my first post I mentioned the YouTube video that tipped me over the edge. Like potato chips, you can't watch just one YouTube video though. Each video of light shows I saw was more amazing, more intricate, more crazy, more over the top.

And more depressing. 64 channels, 96 channels, 244 channels, zillions of lights. "I'll never make a show like that. Why bother?"

Well, everyone starts somewhere. Quite honestly I don't want to make most of those shows, I don't want to be a tourist destination, nor do I want to generate wattage capable of blasting my neighbors out of their houses. I'm not a professional lighting designer, nor do I pretend to be one. Watching those videos made me think hard about why I was doing this? Did I just want to impress people? Not really. I wanted to have fun and make the holiday more enjoyable for those around me. I don't want fame or notoriety, I just want to create an emotional response in myself and those near me.

With that, I went back to watching to pick out the 2% of their shows I wanted to steal. Or perhaps 3%. 4% tops. Really.

Here's your first potato chip, free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfz1pyq3EhE

No comments:

Post a Comment