Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Extension Cords, Extension Cords, Extension Cords

With the Light-o-rama order placed I knew I needed lots more extension cords. Even with the mere six channels I had planned to start with, that meant I needed at least 5 more extension cords than I presently owned.

Some deft googling and presto: christmasdesigners.com had $4 8 ft green cords. At last! No more orange cord stretched across my grass! I bought a dozen and they served quite well. Nicely insulated and weather resistant, but I used them all up immediately. Eight feet is not very long. If I was to get up to my 16 channel max that meant hundreds of dollars for extension cords alone. Ridiculous.

Some more googling and all roads led to SPT-1 and SPT-2 "zip cord". Otherwise known as lamp cord. That stuff dangling around behind your couch.

Really?

Enough "professionals" swore by it (though electrocuted people can't post on the internet). I will have to give it a try. SPT-1 and SPT-2 are the same thing: 18 gauge wire good enough to carry enough electricity to power a few lights without melting. That is, about 7 amps or <800 watts. Connect it to your hair dryer, and it'll probably melt. SPT-2 just has a thicker coating on it, meaning it'll survive the weather better over time. SPT-2 does not carry more electricity. Most people posting said they used SPT-1, but I'd like to use these cords for more than a few years. My orange extension cord has turned yellow/white in only few years of use in Seattle. I'll be trying SPT-2 and spending the extra $20 per 1000 feet.

It's now December so everyone is sold out of the stuff in quantities less than 1,000 feet. I don't know if I'm that dedicated yet, so I'll check back in March maybe. I suspect I'll be eating my words next year.  [2015 update: yep! Save time and buy the 1000' spool]

Either way, plug your cords into a GFCI outlet. You've seen them in your bathroom. It is the thing that trips the circuit breaker before you get electrocuted when you drop your hair dryer in the sink (hopefully). It is not a surge protector. It does not save your electronics, it saves your life. If your GFCI keeps tripping, don't blame the outlet, fix the short circuit in your lights before your dog gets fried lapping up the puddle of water your exposed wires are running through.

The last thing you'll need are vampire plugs. These are simple devices you clip on the ends of the wire. No tools required beyond wire cutters.


Here's a couple sites I've found that sell wire and plugs to give you an idea. Prices vary widely, there is always a better deal to be had somewhere on the internet.





Glossary:

SPT: Stranded Parallel Thermoplastic wire. i.e., good old fashioned lamp cord, but with slightly better insulation for outdoor use.

GFCI: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt electrical outlet. Keeps you from getting electrocuted when a loose wire ends up in a puddle.

Vampire Plugs: Extension cord plugs (male and female) the snap onto the end of SPT wire. They have “fangs” to bite into the wire so you don’t need tools.


No comments:

Post a Comment