Thursday, November 26, 2015

Two years later….mini trees!

So this is Year Three for me now. I did indeed go from one controller to three (48 channels). I have also purchased about 1500’ of SPT2 wire.  The 1000’ roll was a huge win. It is so much easier to deal with than lots of 250’ bundles. I now have four mini trees, a leaping arch, and a fleet of 10’ pvc pipes wrapped loosely with red, green, and white 100ct strands. The pvc pipes are easy to make, easy to hang, and easy to store. This year it took less than an hour to hang 6 pipes on all my eaves, and now that I have hooks screwed in up there I don’t even need a ladder anymore.

I have not spent a ton of time sequencing as it is a HUGE TIME SINK.  I bought the LOR SuperStar Sequencer.  That was a big win as well as it can get you started with a decent show just by plugging in your Visualization and an audio file. I still like sequencing a couple songs manually, but SuperStar does a pretty good job just guessing.

I am still partial to the $3 cheapo incandescents instead of the $20 LEDs.  So much for high efficiency, but with only 5,000 bulbs total (50 x 100ct strands) it’s not denting the electric bill.  Each 100ct strand is 25W max, so that’s 1200W for the whole show.  A 15 amp circuit can handle 1800W, so I’m approaching the limit there I guess.

3Dtreecloseuo.JPGThis year I added mini trees.  They are a very cool effect.  I wrapped three 100ct strands of red, white. and green and now I can cycle the colors on them.  Some people use tomato cages, I like the floral easels, they are very sturdy and easy to wrap.  Use lots of zip ties.


Next I’ll talk about one of the harder issues for me, playing the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment